Sunday, January 13, 2013

Catholic Culinary Experience

I had (am having) a Catholic moment this weekend.  It involved the fact that the Church has obeyed the command of our Lord and Savior to preach the Gospel to all corners of the world (Matthew 28:19).  It also involves one of the necessities of life - food!

We Catholics are blessed with a world-wide communion which encompasses all nations and peoples.  All Saints parish is a microcosm of this phenomenon.  I can prove this simply by the food I was offered - and readily ate this weekend.

On Saturday morning the Vietnamese Community held its monthly fund raiser and they brought over some of their Vietnamese Pork Barbecue replete with rice and fish sauce!



Thịt Nướng – Vietnamese Grilled Pork

 For supper, I went over to some of our parishioner's restaurant:  Gosh Ethiopian.  I had the Kitfo - tasty! (plus you get to eat it with your hands!!!)



This morning, someone from our Hispanic Community had made tamales and dropped them off - so, hot tamales was my breakfast fare.




This afternoon we are hosting the monthly Philippino Mass and they may have some lechón (roast pig) among the other tasty dishes!




All I can do is say that the Lord is good!  We as Catholic know how to fast, but we also know how to feast.  We are a joy-filled people because we know the mercy of God!  We can't help but feast because the bridegroom is with us!  This experience reminds me of the famous quote by Hillaire Belloc:

Hilaire Belloc

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!”

No comments: