Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pilgrimage to Ars

I recently made a pilgrimage to the tomb of St. John Marie Vianney the patron saint of parish priests. His tomb is located in Ars in South-East France near Lyon. He is affectionately known as the Curé of Ars. It happens that Pope Benedict XVI has asked that this year be dedicated as the "Year for Priests". He named St. John Vianney as the Universal Patron of Priests.

I got to say mass at his tomb

We walked out to the legendary place where the Curé first came into his parish. He was lost in the fog not far from the village to which he had been assigned. He came across a young boy working in the field and asked him, "Which way to Ars?" The boy pointed the way to him. The Saint responded famously by saying, "You have shown me the way to Ars, I shall show you the way to heaven."



On our way back to Rome we stopped just past Mont Blanc (we had gone through the tunnel) and I snapped this awesome picture and had to share it:



No comments: