Monday, September 22, 2008

Visit to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva

This afternoon I had to go out and get a few amices from Barbiconi (a clerical taylor shop) and so I made a plan to stop by and visit the famous Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.  The highlight of the church for me is the tomb of St. Catherine of Siena, Doctor of the Church.  The Church itself is a rarity in that it is in the gothic style - not found very much in Rome where many of the churches are Romanesque, Baroque and Rococo.  



The tomb of St. Catherine of Siena is in the transept and is the located under the main altar 





The Church is located just around the corner from the Pantheon.  You can see it right when you walk out into the piazza.


I leave for Norcia tommorrow morning.  I will be there for a week of retreat before my studies begin.

Oremus pro invicem

1 comment:

Bsdouglass said...

It is good to hear of your travels, Father. I believe that Santa Maria Sopra Minerva has to be my favorite Roman Church. The elephant, St. Catherine, Fra. Angelico, Michelangelo's Jesus, paintings of St Thomas victorious over heresy and Lepanto! Ah, what a lovely place. And Gothic, too. I do miss Roma.

Best of luck with your studies!